Booting from USB Device instead of SD card

It is well-known, that mirco SD cards often leads to reliability issues with single board computers

Has one already figured out SD-card less operation of the giant board like f. e. With the Beaglebone. (Probably similar to https://steffen-kockel.de/blog/beaglebone-usb-boot)

I assume, that the bottom part of the /boot/uboot/uEnv.txt file is related to such feature:

#mmcroot=/mmcblk0p2 ro
#mmcrootfstype=ext4 rootwait fixrtc

As far as I’m aware, the sama5 doesn’t support booting from USB. Might be possible with u-boot, but I never tried it.

I broke the SD card slot on one of my boards… it was flakey, only sometimes seeming to recognize the card (which worked fine on my other board, so I know it wasn’t the card itself), so I tried desoldering it in an attempt to reseat it… well, in the end, I ended up tearing one of the traces on the board so I don’t think I’m going to get it attached again.

Before I relegate the board to my “sigh, I really should know better by now” pile, has anyone have any luck getting this to boot from USB?

My experience with u-boot thus far has been following someone else’s instructions, so before I dig into it myself and pull out my hair, I figured I’d ask first.

It might be possible to repair the trace with some care. If you have some enamel wire, you can connect it from the resistors or a via and it should get it working. The schematics are available if you need to see what goes where. Schematics