Electromaker.io Giant Board SBC contest

For participants looking for a place to connect with other competitors and enthusiasts.

I’m in the contest, hello everyone!

Awesome, what’s your project if you don’t mind me asking?

Hi W1s4rd,
It’s all good I don’t mind you asking me that.
I can tell you that the project is related to automotive industry, but for the rest I prefer to wait until publish it.
:wink:
Are you in the contest as well?

My project involves taking Fast Fourier Transforms of the Analog to Digital converter pins. I’ve done it in Matlab using the a/d converter on an Arduino uno and using Matlab to open the serial port to read the data. Now I want to do it on a microcontroller.

I’ve never used python, micropython or circuitpython. What flavour of python does Giant Board use? Where to I go to start learning how to look at the ports, do A to D conversions etc? The documentation web page is a tad sparse…

Hey, welcome to the forums! The giant board has a unique setup for it’s ADC. They are enabled by default and you can read values directly in Linux using your choice of language. You can see a great example and lots of info here about using the ADC.

1 Like

The standard Python interpreter on the Giant Board is CPython, the same as you would also use on desktops. I imagine the Unix port of MicroPython should run as well, but there’s probably no reason to use it unless you have special requirements. I don’t know if CircuitPython still has a Unix port, but the recommended way of using CircuitPython libraries is to use Adafruit Blinka on CPython, which is already installed in the standard image. I.e. you can just run python3 and import CircuitPython modules as if you were on CircuitPython.