First time with Giantboard. Serial port not recognized

Hi! I copied the image to the sd card and plugged into my Win7 Pro computer per the instructions, but the serial port is not recognized. Instead I have device called “CDC Serial” in “Other devices”.

I’ve tried updating the drivers manually via the Internet, and I tried a few Microchip CDC drivers I downloaded, but nothing works.

This is the device status:

The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)

There is no driver selected for the device information set or element.

To find a driver for this device, click Update Driver.

Here’s VID & PID Info:

USB\VID_1D6B&PID_0104&REV_3066&MI_02
USB\VID_1D6B&PID_0104&MI_02

And compatible ids:

USB\Class_02&SubClass_02&Prot_01
USB\Class_02&SubClass_02
USB\Class_02

There’s a lot of other properties details but I usually don’t play at this level.

For new boards, updating or installing serial drivers is often the first step. Hopefully you can point me to the right drivers for this device.

Edit: Just noticed also that a 50mb FAT r/w BOOT drive appears when I plug in the board. So some level of communication is working.

Thanks!! -D

Hello, welcome to the forums. I never tested the Giant Board on windows 7, so I never caught this issue. I did some searching and found this. They were having the same issue with their beagle bone. The driver is included in widows 7 but you’ll need add the file they include.

Thanks for your response. Yes that is similar to what I found also. But unfortunately I can’t figure out what to do with it. This EOL Win7 PC is headed out the door soon so I’m not going to fight with it.

Luckily I was able to plug the USB into my Linux server and the serial port appeared right away, and I was able to connect to the board using screen. So all is well. I bet I can use any old RPi as a gateway until I get my Win10 replacement built.

Thanks for your help and good luck with your product! --D

And noticed further that BOOT was mounted under /media/ubuntu and seems to be the same folder I saw on my PC. Clearly a lot going on here way beyond my experience with these type devices. But all good.

Thanks --D