Running out of RAM step 4 of build/clean the kernel

Hello Groboards,

Thank you again for all of the great information to setup the Giant Board. I was just curious if anyone had run into the following issue. When I run #4, which is the command to build/clean the kernel, it says I am running out of RAM. Thank in advance.

root@giantboard:/home/debian/giantboard-tools# ./build_menu.sh
Build Options:
1: Setup Build Environment.(Run on first setup.)
2: Build at91bootstrap
3: Build u-boot
4: Build kernel/clean
5: Rebuild kernel
6: Build debian rootfs
7: Chroot into rootfs
8: Build device overlays
9: Make bootable device image
Enter selection [1-7] > 4
Preparing to build kernel…
Building kernel release: v5.0
Getting v5.0 kernel from https://github.com/torvalds/linux
Cloning into ‘linux’…
remote: Enumerating objects: 71, done.
remote: Counting objects: 100% (71/71), done.
remote: Compressing objects: 100% (46/46), done.
fatal: Out of memory, calloc failed
fatal: index-pack failed
edot@giantboard:/home/debian/giantboard-tools# fatal: Out of memory, calloc faile
bash: fatal:: command not found
root@giantboard:/home/debian/giantboard-tools# fatal: index-pack failed
bash: fatal:: command not found
root@giantboard:/home/debian/giantboard-tools# ^C
root@giantboard:/home/debian/giantboard-tools#

Colin

On line 14 of build_kernel.sh, try removing the * 2 from the core count expression. That should require half as much RAM.

The giant board tools are meant to be run on a full desktop x86 machine. The tools are setup for cross compiling and won’t work on the giant board itself. Compiling the kernel on the giant board would likely take a year.

Oh yeah just caught that. I figured they were trying on a desktop machine that doesn’t have a lot of RAM relative to the number of cores.

Oh wow. I should have known that. Thank you so much. That is one of those drrrr moments.

-Colin

Thanks for the information, I was actually wondering about that too, since I didn’t find it mentioned anywhere in the documentation. It also doesn’t say what OS they run on, presumably at least some kinds of Linux (the screenshots say “Debian”).